American Sedan Forum

American Sedan Forum (http://s91730302.onlinehome.us/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://s91730302.onlinehome.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Racing is safe (http://s91730302.onlinehome.us/forums/showthread.php?t=1929)

Sean #40 07-09-2009 12:01 PM

Racing is safe

I am just doing an online traffic school to save getting points on my un tarnished license.
I was clocked on one of those long straight open roads we have here in Florida by a plain car going 10 mph over the limit.
I am not complaning I broke the law and have to pay the fine.
But it made me reflect on my 40 years of motoring motorcycles and cars I have seen so much ridiculous behaviour every day and have avoided several idiot's
this year already.
Then I think about us racing and the attention we pay to each other and the flags around us "does the 2 second rule apply at 150mph" and realise our sport is very safe.
Most of the deaths are old farts like me having a heart attack. But at least we have regular checks.
out on the road there are people that drive knowing they are very sick. Driving is like racing it is a privilege not a right I am not saying I am a better driver than a person who does not race I just feel safer.
That's why I am @#$%&^ off about this bloody ticket.

jimwheeler 07-09-2009 12:21 PM

I got a recent ticket on a rural Kansas interstate, 80 in 70. I changed lanes, to avoid a woman doing 50 or so, in the left lane. She was on a cell phone and drinking something from a big cup. The officer said my truck caught his attention because I closed on the car so quickly. I know who would have gotten the ticket, if I had been the officer.
Car and Driver did a piece, this month, on a comparison test between paying attention, reading text, sending text and driving at .088 alcohol. They tested at two different speeds. Guess how that turned out.
Nobody is paying attention out there.
wheel

EvanK 07-09-2009 12:50 PM

Sean,

I worked for the NJ State Police for 12 years and Philadelphia for 2 before that. Left on a medical.

I never stopped anyone for 10 over unless I thought there was something criminal going on. Writing a compliant motorist a ticket for 10 over is called chickenshit!

Unfortunately, there are cops out there just punching time cards and getting their 5 tickects or whatever their number is for the day so they can collect a paycheck and not be bothered. There can be a mentality of "hammering the public" that manifests itself to certain officers who stop giving a crap about anything.

We used to ride two man patrols at night and occassionally i'd get stuck with a guy who wanted to write his tickets early in the 12 hour shift. Rule was you alternate stops. He was driving and stopping folks for 10 over. 4 hours later he had 5 tickets and I had 5 warnings.

After 5 years of Turnpike, I was lucky enough to become a Detective in the Intel bureau. In actuality, I was a tech installing covert surveillance equipment. Was a good job till the knee went.

King Matt 07-09-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanK
In actuality, I was a tech installing covert surveillance equipment. Was a good job till the knee went.

Did you dress like a plumber and visit lots of Hunt & Fish clubs? :D

jimwheeler 07-09-2009 01:03 PM

I would ticket any infraction, if the driver was talking on a cel phone. 5 mph over, cel phone, ticket.
Lane change, without turn signal, cel phone, ticket.
Speeding, changing lanes without signal, cel phone, coffee, cigarette, Death Penalty.
wheel

EvanK 07-09-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Matt
Did you dress like a plumber and visit lots of Hunt & Fish clubs? :D

LOL,

We did have one hell of an elaborate setup to go around unnoticed.

EvanK 07-09-2009 01:38 PM

While were on the subject of crap goig on while driving.

I can't tell you how many times I reponded to the scene of an accident only to find some Dude with his zipper down in a car parked into a tree. And no woman beside him. Talk about distractions

I'll bet ya were hoping that stuff didn't go on at 80 mph!

jimwheeler 07-09-2009 02:34 PM

I bet you don't find much left of his woody, when he's parked against a tree.
I crack myself up.

Sean #40 07-09-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanK
While were on the subject of crap goig on while driving.

I can't tell you how many times I reponded to the scene of an accident only to find some Dude with his zipper down in a car parked into a tree. And no woman beside him. Talk about distractions

I'll bet ya were hoping that stuff didn't go on at 80 mph!

Now I know why they don't put fly holes in race suits!

Sean #40 07-09-2009 06:35 PM

Well I passed my driver saftey school! You would have to be an idiot not to. And have driven at the speed limit for the last two weeks and been passed a hundred times. A guy cut in front of me this morning to turn left and almost ran into someone at the stop line and there was no one behind me, guess he did not want to wear out his brakes.
Thanks for cheering me up a ticket is nothing compared to what I have been through but it just grinds my gears.:mad: