American Sedan Forum

American Sedan Forum (http://s91730302.onlinehome.us/forums/index.php)
-   American Sedan General (http://s91730302.onlinehome.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mustang Bad Wheel Advice (http://s91730302.onlinehome.us/forums/showthread.php?t=228)

koscieldrk 11-07-2005 10:59 AM

Mustang Bad Wheel Advice

Hey guys just wanted to mention a problem we found at the Runoffs. During inspection of Kristians Cobra 5 spoke wheels, we found that 7 of the 8 wheels we checked, developed cracks where the spoke meets the Hub. The cracks were a very fine line and really hard to see and not discovered until they were cleaned. Could have led to a very disasterous situation. Just wanted to give a Heads Up. I believe they were the aftermarket Cobra Wheels. One thing we did notice is that the spokes were no where as beefy as the ROH Wheels. The spokes seemed more hollowed out in the back. Just wanted to give a Heads Up. Check Your Wheels.

King Matt 11-07-2005 01:26 PM

I assume these were Made in China-type Cobra R replicas?

koscieldrk 11-07-2005 02:30 PM

Not that I know of. Nothing on the wheels said China.

King Matt 11-07-2005 03:04 PM

If they were the common 16x8-inch 1995 Cobra R replicas, I'm sure they were made in China, whether they were marked or not. Almost all the cheap cast wheels are, although a few are made in S. Korea (ASA for one). It's certainly always good advice to check wheels on a regular basis for cracks, but I think I would be more wary of the quality of construction of those particular wheels than the design itself because the genuine 17-inch Ford Cobra R wheels they are copied from are pretty tough.

koscieldrk 11-07-2005 03:22 PM

Ya know when your life depends on it I wouldn't buy anything made in China or any of those other Oriental countries including rotors. USA preferably. Then are neighbors to the North, South if your in Detroit. Aussies do a pretty good job also.

King Matt 11-07-2005 08:28 PM

While I know plenty of people who have raced on those wheels without incident (yet), I agree. I went to great lengths to find good, reasonably priced 16x8s for my Mustang, but it took a lot of searching to find the ARE and BBS wheels I have.

KristianSmith 11-23-2005 11:54 PM

Matt,

Yes, they are the cheapo made in China knock offs... I thought they looked fairly sturdy to me when I ordered them. Like the rest of us.. I was in a pinch and I figured that they had copied the Ford wheel (which I know is extremely strong) and I would be in good shape... They lasted about a season and a half...

Thanks to Dwaine for helping clean the rest of my wheels once we spotted the first cracks... without his help we wouldnt have made it out for the final qualifying session that week.... also.. a HUGE thanks to Craig Weidner for the loan of a set of his discontinued Weld wheels for the remainder of the week... I couldnt have raced without his generosity.

Matt.. I too have a couple sets of BBS wheels.. but they are 9" wide.. do you know where I might find some wheel halves?... also.. reading in Car Craft.. I understand you are in Ann Arbor... I am from Brighton.. were practically neighbors... There are a few people around here that you should meet that might be able to help you with your car... they have helped me greatly...
If you like.. email me at asracer89@netzero.net .

Anyways... guys.. check your wheels.. constantly.. I once saw a Fikse (SP) come apart..(center broke out) on a one lap vette at speed.. not pretty. :eek:

Kris

King Matt 11-24-2005 08:14 AM

Kris,

The BBS wheels I have are one-piece cast 16x8s. They are the RX model actually intended to fit Mazda RX-7s I think, but with the 38mm offset they fit my Mustang OK. Tire Rack sells them for about $270 each. On a related note, I was told by a friend at Weld Racing that they are getting back into the road race wheel market and will be introducing a new line of modular wheels this year.